Summary of Lord of the Flies

In the midst of a raging war, a plane evacuating a group of schoolboys from Britain is shot down over a deserted tropical island. Ralph, a fair haired boy, is elected chief for having assembled the boys using a conch shell. Ralph appoints Jack, the losing candidate for chief, as head hunter. For the most part, they enjoy the island, there's plenty of food and water and they have plenty of entertainment.Ralph decides to have everyone help build shelters and keep the fire going, though not everyone helps. Jack becomes more and more obsessed with hunting pigs. The longer they stay, the less civilized they become. Will they end up as savages?

Map

Map

Saturday 23 May 2015

Chapter Two - Fire on the Mountain

It was late afternoon when I called the second assembly. I told the others about what we found when we went on our expedition. I've made a few more rules, such as lifting your hand to speak and only speaking if you have the conch. Piggy raised a few concerns, mainly that no one knows where we are. I reassured everyone by reminding them that there was food and water and that even though we were stuck there we could still have a good time. Then a little boy with a weird mark on his face was forced forwards by the other littluns. He stuck his hands out for the conch and I couldn't help but laugh. Piggy stood up for him and asked me to give him the conch, so I did. He was even more shy now that we had all laughed at him, so Piggy sat next to him and told the assembly what he said. He asked what I was going to do about the snake-thing. Naturally I laughed, it was a stupid question. He then changed it to a beastie and said that it came from the woods. I tried to explain nicely that it wasn't possible to have a big snake or beast on an island this size, but he didn't seem to believe me. The others also seemed to start believing this impossible story. I had to do something so I told him he must have been dreaming or having a nightmare. He asked me what I was going to do about it and if it would come back that night. I was getting very frustrated so I started yelling that there wasn't a beast. Still the boy believed his story. He was getting quite exasperating. I yelled again but he didn't listen. Then Jack took the conch from the boy and said that there wasn't a beast but if there were he and his hunters would hunt it and kill it. How could they all believe this child's story? It was completely impossible! I knew I was defeated but I had to get my point across. I yelled again that there was no beast and everyone was silent. I still think they believe there is a beast. I then told them that we should make a fire, to help the ships see us. They all ran off ,like a band of savages, into the forest to collect wood and bring it to the mountain. Near the end of the day we had a huge pile of dead trees on top of the mountain, but there was a problem. We had no way to light  the fire. Then Piggy came up the mountain and Jack had the idea to use his glasses to set the wood on fire. We swarmed Piggy and Jack got his glasses. He handed them to me and I lit the fire. The fire was no good, it was too big and there wasn't any smoke. I decided that we would only have a small fire and put leaves on to make smoke if we saw a ship. I also decided that we needed people to watch over the fire so Jack volunteered some of the hunters for the job. We then talked about how there haven't been any ships yet and Piggy started yelling but stopped halfway through. While we had been arguing the wind had caught the fire and it was now ravaging the forest below. Then Piggy went on a tirade and said that we should have built shelters first not the fire and that we don't even know how many littluns there are. We looked around and couldn't find the boy with the mark on his face.

No comments:

Post a Comment