Summary of Lord of the Flies

In the midst of a raging war, a plane evacuating a group of schoolboys from Britain is shot down over a deserted tropical island. Ralph, a fair haired boy, is elected chief for having assembled the boys using a conch shell. Ralph appoints Jack, the losing candidate for chief, as head hunter. For the most part, they enjoy the island, there's plenty of food and water and they have plenty of entertainment.Ralph decides to have everyone help build shelters and keep the fire going, though not everyone helps. Jack becomes more and more obsessed with hunting pigs. The longer they stay, the less civilized they become. Will they end up as savages?

Map

Map

Saturday 23 May 2015

Chapter Three - Huts on the Beach

It has been a number of weeks...or months. I'm not sure. We've been here for so long I've lost count. Lately Jack has been obsessed with finding and killing pigs. He goes off into the woods all day and only comes back for food and water. He hasn't killed anything yet. Simon and I have been trying t o finish building the third hut by ourselves, but it's useless without help from the others. Most boys had helped with the first one and about half had helped build the second. I had also said that we should store water from the river in coco-nut shells so that we didn't have to walk through the forest to get a drink of water, and we had done that for about two days. After that, the boys got lazy and just walked to the river instead or didn't get water more than once a day. Jack and I fought today. He had just came out of the forest and I had complained that people would work hard for about five minutes before getting bored. They would wander off or hunting.Jack kept saying that we need meat and each time I would remind him that so far, we haven't gotten any. He got all red in the face and started yelling, saying that I was accusing him of something. Then I explained myself. I said that we needed shelters from the rain and from the beast that most boys think exists. We are all scared. Jack then said that when he's hunting he feels as if he's not the one hunting, but the one being hunted. We then started talking about being rescued and he looked out towards the ocean and said "I got it!". Of course I thought he meant he saw a ship, but obviously he was talking about the pigs. I got mad then and yelled at him. I work hard all day with Simon while wanders around the forest hunting pigs. We don't even need more food at the moment, we have all the fruit we can eat! We need shelter! He agreed to help for a bit but when we got back to the hut Simon was gone. Simon is a strange boy, he doesn't say much and he likes to be out in the forest alone. He spends a lot of time out there, only coming back around sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment