Summary of Lord of the Flies

In the midst of a raging war, a plane evacuating a group of schoolboys from Britain is shot down over a deserted tropical island. Ralph, a fair haired boy, is elected chief for having assembled the boys using a conch shell. Ralph appoints Jack, the losing candidate for chief, as head hunter. For the most part, they enjoy the island, there's plenty of food and water and they have plenty of entertainment.Ralph decides to have everyone help build shelters and keep the fire going, though not everyone helps. Jack becomes more and more obsessed with hunting pigs. The longer they stay, the less civilized they become. Will they end up as savages?

Map

Map

Saturday 23 May 2015

Chapter One - The Sound of the Shell

Hello,
it's Ralph typing. We just crashed on an island in the middle of nowhere. My private school was being evacuated due to the war and I guess the plane broke or maybe we were shot down, I don't know, but it looks like most of the boys have survived. The pilot is nowhere to be seen, so we can only assume he's dead. When I first found my way out of the scar, I met a boy named Piggy. I don't think that's his real name, but I think it suits him. Piggy is fat and wears glasses and he is somewhat annoying. Right near where we crashed, there is a lagoon. It was very hot, so I decided to go for a swim, and Piggy followed. I was looking through the water and I spotted something pink near the bottom. Piggy bent and picked it up. Piggy told me it was a conch shell and that if I blew in it, it would make a sound like a trumpet.I blew in it and at first it didn't work, but eventually I got the hang of it. The sound called all the other boys that were scattered around the island to the beach where I was. There was a group of boys all wearing black caps who were being led towards the rest of use by one boy in the front. It turned out to be the choir boys and their leader, Jack Merridew. Once everyone was gathered we all decided that we needed a chief, and the vote was between myself and Jack. I was chosen as chief. I don't think Jack was too happy about it. Jack kept insisting upon having hunters so I appointed him chief hunter. We also decided that we should try to see if what we thought was an island was actually an island. Jack, Simon and I went on an expedition to the mountain to get a clear view of the entire land. We found that it was in fact an island. On the way back we decided to take a short cut through the forest and we found a piglet stuck in some of those creeper things. Jack drew his knife but hesitated too long and the pig broke free. I think he was scared to kill it, he would be taking a life and that would change him forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment